ID: 4525 - Backup of QuickBooks Hosted company file to my Local PC takes a long time
Last updated: 14 Feb 2014
Why does it take a very long time to backup my company file from QuickBooks Hosted (Standard Account) to my local drive? It stays on “Not Responding” and 0% for a long time, but it I leave it overnight it will backup.
The speed of saving files across the internet from an application (QuickBooks Hosted) on a remote server to your local PC is an adverse feature of the Microsoft Server 2008 R2 SP1 technology that QuickBooks Hosted uses.
We are awaiting developments my Microsoft to improve the situation.
This issue affects Standard Account users only; Premium Account users, where Citrix technology is used, are unaffected.
Save your backup to your personal Q: drive on Hosted, then use standard Windows keyboard commands to copy the backup to your local PC. This process will bypass the complex processes Microsoft Server 2008 R2 SP1 uses to save a file across the internet directly from an operational application on a remote server to a location on a local PC.
To speed up the transfer of files across the internet it is better to make Portable Company files (*.QBM) than standard backups (*.QBB) as Portable Company Files are 3 to 5 times smaller than standard backup files and therefore will take less time to transfer across the internet.
1. Click File > Save Copy Or Backup > Portable Company File (or
2. In the ‘Save As’ Window enter a File Name and Save the File to your Q: Drive
3. Click File > Open or Restore a Company File
4. By the File Type box, click on the dropdown menu and select All Files;
5. Right click on the QBM or QBB you just created to highlight it and click CTRL+C on your keyboard to copy it to the Clipboard
6. Minimise QuickBooks Hosted and using Windows Explorer navigate to the destination folder and press CTRL+V on your keyboard to paste it to your chosen location
7. Once the File has copied you can return to QuickBooks Hosted and close the dialog boxes.
You can also restore backups, import Bank Statements etc. faster by using CTRL + C and CTRL + V to copy them from your Local Drive to the Q: Drive and then access the file from the Q: Drive.
Reverse this procedure to copy files from your local PC to Hosted.